Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's Worse Elsewhere....

I concentrate here on American media in all its forms, but every once in a while it's brought home to me that for all its flaws, American media is really saintly compared with what goes on in other countries!

I read a message board dedcated to European horror movies (don't ask me why, I don't like horror movies of any kind, let alone European ones, but it's just become a habit) and the people there frequently post these videos, which are available on YouTube, but which clearly come from actual, broadcast TV in the countries concerned.

Japan, for example, has game shows in which people perform the sex act while a studio audience - not to mention the rest of the country - watch. They have "naked grand prix" where women dressed in nothing but a little red ball in their mouths sit on a go-cart, with a naked hooded man racing it.

A couple of days ago they posted Spanish language videos of gameshows...somewhere...which were just as degrading to women. (I can't tell you what particular country they were from, as I didn't watch them, but the poster described what was in them...)

We say, "It can't happen here," but our own media does seem to be heading in that direction, consistently dumbing down the people so that they'll accept that kind of crap.

Then of course there's the case of Charlie Sheen. I could post three or four times a day on the antics of that drug-addicted fool. I'd like to see Two and a Half Men cancelled, but if not that, just replace the actor with one who looks similar to him. Shouldn't be too hard, and I guar-ron-damn-tee ya that the show will continue to be a success without him, as long as his replacement acts in the same hedonistic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment