Saturday, March 19, 2011

Communication Breakdown #1: Wyoming Information Center on Highway 25


I went to the Wyoming Information/Welcome Center today, the one on Highway 25 which greets people entering from Colorado. It was closed. That in itself was not a hardship, I'm less than 10 minutes away from it in my little car.

What puzzles me, and causes me to despair, is the fact that when I got there, and found out it was closed, it was by seeing a sign on the door that said "Closed." Nothing further.

Usually these places have a sign giving their open and closing hours, so that people who try to visit them will be able to know when they are open, without having to guess.

This one didn't. The only piece of information on the door was that it was Closed.

So, I really want to know. It is Saturday, so does it close for the weekend. This makes no sense to me for a start, the weekends are when most tourists are on the road, I would have thought, and would want to stop in to a Welcome center.

However, usually these places are closed on Sundays, which I've always thought as foolish - the more so because I think they are manned by volunteers.

But that's not the point. The point is, is it closed for the weekend, or is it closed for the season - since it is still winter. If it was closed for the season, I would assume that the sign would say "Closed for the Season." And since it only says, "Closed," I would assume that it is open on the weekdays.

But I'm not really sure - and I should not have this problem! How much time and effort would it have taken to have a sign always available on the door giving its hours of operation, if any, in all 4 seasons?

Instead, the glass windows and doors are nice and clean and uncluttered, and signally un-informative.

I shall return there on Monday, and report back what I find.

Another thing I thought was funny, was the amount of 18 wheelers on the highway, just in the brief space of two miles that I had to drive to get to my exit.

There are "ports of entry" here in Wyoming, where every commercial driver is supposed to stop to have their load inspected, or at least their paperwork. The only problem is, those "Ports of Entry" are not open on the weekends. So on the weekends, these 18-wheelers can come through with utter impunity.

Now, does that make any sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment